Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Why I Raise My Children Without God

The essay referenced in this POST appeared in CNN.  It was prefaced by a warning that it might contain inappropriate material.  I read it and thought, "Inappropriate to whom?"  I assumed I would see vulgar or violent comments or I might see overly exuberant rants that sometimes accompanies anti-religious essays.  But nothing like that.

CNN PRODUCER NOTE     TXBlue08, a mother of two teenagers in Texas, blogs about raising her children without religion. She said she shared this essay on CNN iReport because 'I just felt there is not a voice out there for women/moms like me. I think people misunderstand or are fearful of people who don’t believe in God.'
When my son was around 3 years old, he used to ask me a lot of questions about heaven. For over a year, I lied to him and made up stories... Like most parents, I love my child so much that ... I wanted him to feel safe and loved and full of hope. But ...I would have to make stuff up...I would have to brainwash him into believing stories that didn’t make sense.  One day...he would know that I built an elaborate tale—not unlike the one we tell children about Santa...I thought it was only right to be honest with my children. I am a non-believer... 
Read the entire essay at  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282?hpt=hp_c3

No comments:

Post a Comment