Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Who Checks the Fact Checkers

When circulating the information about Poynter.com, I was asked, “Who Checks the Fact-Checkers?

My first response was -- use what I posted on my website https://mtskeptics.blogspot.com/2020/10/fact-checking-101.html  

However, I thought I would “google” the question to see if I could get a better answer.

I figured with the upcoming election that email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. would be Jammed with fallacious “information,” since one side or the other must lose. To avoid a lot of unnecessary hyperventilation, I would share what I find out. I hope people of either political persuasion would rather not hear misinformation that only substantiates their opinion. They prefer the truth. Maybe.  

I figured the best way for me to keep a low profile and not react to absurd claims is to provide others with the means to negate potential vindictiveness before sharing it with everyone on their email address list or with their Facebook friends.  

Google offered little help.  

But you can start your personal fact-checking using the techniques in my blog post and by consulting sources with proven track-records. Here is some help The 10 Best Fact Checking Websites for 2020 https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2020/04/12/the-10-best-fact-checking-websites-for-2020/  

I also like scanning this source to get a quick overview of whom I can trust. https://www.adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart-2/

It has a grid with two axes: Bias and Accuracy. The graph shows quite plainly that the media has a pronounced left-leaning bias.  

No surprise. I can compensate for bias. Bias is not the same as intentional misinformation. I would hope others don’t compensate for bias by sharing info from sources that have a history of stretching or masking the truth or outright lying. 

By the way, Poynter, like Media Bias Check, is a signatory of the International Fact Checking Network (IFCN) that follows a code of principles noted here.  

We all hate those who share “Fake News.” Distribution is starting to get bad now. Election fatigue is only going to get worse over the next three month.

No comments:

Post a Comment