Saturday, May 4, 2019

FACEBOOK"S DESTRUCTION OF DEMOCRACY

, , , for looking the other way during election manipulations in the UK (and US).

This is a bold TED talk — a serious indictment of Facebook — given last month to an audience that included major tech leaders such as Zuckerberg, Sandberg, et al.

The talk focused on the UK Brexit vote and low-income white workers, but you could substitute the Trump election and low-income white workers. . . and all the points would be the same . . . including the consequences.

One TED talk executive said, “there’s never been a talk like that at TED before.”

I think it might be worth your time. The first 7 or 8 minutes give you the gist if you’re pressed for time . . . but I watched the whole 15 minutes.
 
(A somewhat long Guardian/Observer article by the reporter who did the video:  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/21/carole-cadwalladr-ted-tech-google-facebook-zuckerberg-silicon-valley )

--More from John Oliver--
COMMENTS RECEIVED IN ADVANCE OF THIS POST:


Illuminating and serious.  Forwarded to me by a college classmate, fellow Vietnam serviceman and still a friend I keep in contact with.  How much change is Facebook and others really making to address this??? DS
---------------------------

Very powerful speech. Unfortunately those who can change the situation already knew all this and have no incentive. If history truly is written by the winners, Facebook et. al. will be remembered as the force that saved the world from the scourge of mob rule.  BD
--------------------------

Whoa!  As you know, I don't think much of Facebook either, but THIS is truly worrisome.  I did ponder about the vote on Brexit, but it never occurred to me that there might have been interference there as well as here.  Also of course we have enough problems here in the US without taking on the UK's.  I make it a practice only to worry about things I can do something about. SW
----------------------------------

Thanks; after viewing the first link and reading the second link this morning, I forwarded your email to everyone in my family, and then forwarded it to everyone in my . . . Church men's group.

A Muslim acquaintance in Nashville about once a month will have a Facebook post of a video of some violent act usually being committed by uniformed Israeli military against Palestinian adults and children, although the last one I saw was an old grainy vid of what appeared to be a uniformed French soldier, from his kepi hat, aiming his rifle and shooting a Muslim (from his distinctive long nightgown-like attire) in the back, killing him instantly from the way his body dropped to the ground, presumably dating back to the Algerian War of independence from France.  My Muslim acquaintance does not send these postings to me directly, they show up included in a string of other postings sent to me by a few others (non-Muslim) I have Friended.  After this TED presentation, I wonder who is financing, producing, and distributing these violent acts against Muslims videos, who is the target audience, and for what purpose other than to incite more rocket attacks against Israel for what end purpose.  I may have to send an inquiry re this to my Muslim acquaintance.

Anyhow, it appears that the fictional Brave New World and Big Brother are now on our doorsteps for real. DI


No comments:

Post a Comment