Thursday, September 13, 2018

Bush, TARP, and Federal Debt

Fifteen years ago, I was the webmaster for a political debate group. It was formed almost immediately after GW Bush invaded Iraq.  I thought that was an idiotic decision and politically motivated.  I was interested in what others thought.

Nearly all my friends and family were Republicans; so, you can tell what feedback I received.  However, I continued to vote Republican assuming it must have been me who got this whole invasion thing wrong.

In 2008 it was another Presidential election and I was ready to vote for McCain.  I liked that the man voted his conscience rather than the Party line.  However, when he picked Palin as Vice-President, I started to question his competence.  I couldn’t see risking the country if, for some reason, she should become President.


Then came October 2008 and the financial meltdown.  I watched Obama come out immediately with recommendations.  McCain vacillated and appeared totally clueless at this moment of crisis. That was all I needed to push me over the edge and vote for Obama.

The Republicans in my debate Google Group went crazy with TARP.  I listened to ignorant after ignorant comment about which President was responsible for TARP and how Obama was blowing up the federal debt. These Republicans again exhibited remarkable ignorance of both how TARP was created and how the Federal government functioned.

To this day they remain ignorant as to how Bush’s quick decision and Obama’s adherence to his predecessor’s recommendations saved our financial system.  I have, however, got most of them at least to read a civics book about the operation of the Federal government.  Also, they are remarkably quiet about the Republican Congress’s explosion of the Federal debt from 2002 to 2006.  Somewhere in the current melee of Donald Trump, the TEA Party has evaporated or doesn’t mind loading up future generations with debt, which will again threaten the financial well-being of the US.  It’s just a matter of time.
If this rendition strikes a personal cord, you’ll be interested in the following article 

Why Bush's quiet role in the financial crisis deserves attention now
Greg Ip  09/13/18

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-bushs-quiet-role-in-the-financial-crisis-deserves-attention-now/ar-BBNewQj?li=BBnb7Kz

and in the highly acclaimed FREE ebook by Ray Dalio, A Template for Understanding Big Debt Crises, which I have downloaded to my Google drive.  You can fetch and read it from the following link.   

No comments:

Post a Comment